Atworth is a village and a Civil Parish in Wiltshire. According to the 2011 census, it had a population of 1,321. The village is about three miles north-west of Melksham and nine miles east from Bath. The area occupied by the village today has supported human habitation for the last 1700 years.
The ready availability of good quality water, the abundance of good building stone and fertile pastures being major reasons for human settlement.
The Romans were here in the late 3rd Century and a Roman villa excavated in the last century was one of six in and around Box. Roman coins have been found from that period.
During medieval times Atworth was a prosperous area supporting three manors. One of these manors is Cottles. It was first held by Robert Cotel c.1102 and its descent can be traced down to the present day. The current building, Cottles House, is of 16th-century origin and has been occupied since 1939 by Stonar School.
Public houses have always played an important part in the life of the village.
Including The Three Horseshoes, The Foresters, The New Inn and the late 18th Century White Hart, the latter being the only one remaining in business today.
The skittle alley of The White Hart was formerly one of the sites for the village Post Office
Atworth History Group have shared this wonderful piece of history documenting the History of the Pub between 1930 – 1931. Entitled “Eighteen Months in the Life of The White Hart. Please click the link below for a full read.
Eighteen Months in the Life